Life is weird. Just when I thought I had it somewhat figured out, and somewhat in control, I was proved wrong.
Mrs.Prince passed away. As it turns out, in October. It's unfortunate we had to hear of it in response to the xmas-new year greetings we sent to the Princes' of Kodai a few weeks back. She had been unwell for a really really long time. The news has dampened my spirits.
Mr Prince was the one who introduced a whole bunch of us to the world of clarinets, flutes, piccolos, trumpets etc some 12-15 years back at ISG...He was the funnest teacher one could have had for music, and is the only reason RG and I still play our instruments on the odd occassion, and sometimes despite the lack of an occasion. He was, and still is, like a grandfather to most of us, and Mrs Prince was a true darling. We'd meet her at their house in the evenings, and trust me, she made the most amazing sandwiches!
After our return from Muscat, we still did keep in touch. Infact they were the only ones through who the tradition of letters was kept alive for me - ofcourse now mr prince has adapted to the e-mail pretty well! They moved from Muscat to the Kodaikanal International School. Over the years there have been countless letters, cards, and phonecalls to keep up with each others' lives.
You know how you meet some people in your life, and irrespective of everything, they just touch your life in such a meaningful way that while you can't always put it across in words, you feel it run through your veins each time you are reminded of them. That's the way it has been with the Princes'. Two of the kindest, gentlest, most loving souls I have ever met, and the honour & privilege has been entirely mine.
I can only hope that wherever she is, Mrs Prince is finally free of all the 'aches and pains'. And maybe this time I/we will plan that trip to Kodai. Last, but not the least, I hope there's another set of people, just like them, ready to make the world a little more magical for some lucky kids in the coming years.
No comments:
Post a Comment