Sunday, August 22, 2010

Brooding on a weekend

Woke up to a rainy sunday morning. Chatted with parents while still in bed. The comforts of technology. I like weekends. I can speak to them without thinking of a zillion other things at the same time. Then I snuggled back into bed. I could hear the rain pouring outside my window. And through the blinds I could see how green everything was.

It's been a month since I left home and I am feeling nostalgic today. I'm missing my home, my parents, my friends, my city. I tried to distract myself by doing some dishes. But there weren't too many of those either. I've now moved from my room to our living room. The main door is open, so I can see dried leaves falling off from the trees, from time to time. The rain slows down at times, and then picks up again. I can see the light on in T's room two apartments' away.

Went to the 'dump n run' sale yesterday. It's where outgoing students leave behind all the stuff they don't need and the university, after sifting through it during the summer, sells it to the incoming class at dirt-cheap prices. And If you're really lucky, you can get really nice stuff! Which I did :D :D They sell everything from clothes, shoes, bedding, tableware, electronics etc.

We then had an orientation for incoming international grad students. Which was ok. We're getting better at picking up freebies :p Getting over the hesitation/shyness/wondering-what-others'-will-think :p So you can imagine how many apples each of us stowed away in our bags to bring home for the coming week. Or actually, I don't think you can imagine :D
So yes, I'm in the living room, listening to The Beatles. Snuggled in this lovely pink blanket I picked up yesterday. A quirrel almost entered our house and startled me more than I probably spooked it! I can see a deer standing still in the greens right behind our apartment. Sometimes I can't quite believe how quaint this place is! But today, inspite of it all, I'm missing home.

No comments:

Post a Comment