Friday, October 22, 2010

Alot of people had told me that upstate NY 'is beautiful during the fall'. I would just look at them and say ok, if you say so. For me, fall has been about green trees turning yellow-brown and crunching on fallen neem and peepal leaves. It has also been a fairly brief period of time for most of the years. I used to look forward to it back home, also because it marked the onset of winter and a whole load of festivals!
Here though, fall takes on a whole new meaning. It's bright and it's incredible. It's teasing and tormenting, beautiful and quirky at the same time. For a month now we've been watching as the leaves subtly change shades. Wishing the process would speed up. But it takes it's own sweet time in showing all it's colours. Gradually the air has begun to cool down and the sunshine seems so much more precious all of a sudden. The green grass is covered by a carpet of reds, browns and yellows. I have never seen trees that are bright red, stark orange or just beautiful golden yellow. On days when the sky is a clear blue and the sun is shining, there's something in the air that makes you want to go for a walk around campus, with squirrels, a hawk and a friend. And sit by the statue of White/Ezra in the arts quad. Or gaze at the lake from one of the windows in the 'harry potter library'. Or crinkle up your nose at the smell of rotting leaves after it rains.
Fall is like a spectacular farewell before winter sets in. It makes me realize how much beauty there can be in an end. It's like a little piece of heaven on earth. And I'm thankful I can experience it.

No comments:

Post a Comment