Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Changing seasons

I love the fact that we have a change of seasons to look forward to, every few months. I don't like the extreme nature that most of these seasons have begun assuming in recent years, but I still like the change they bring.

The other thing about seasons is, while there definitely is some scientific reasoning behind the shifts, we tend to view it with respect to festivals or other events in the country. (Actually the festival bit has something to do with the Hindu calendar but its best if I keep my ignorance about it to myself.)

So you often hear people in Delhi say that the winters end after Republic Day. Or with the festival of Lohri / Makar Sankranti (although they do have a significance of their own too). Spring is in Feb, the nicest time of the year in this city, and lasts through the first two weeks of march at max. Then the summer sets in. Which is what we're dreading since we'll be stuck with it all the way till October -end. Which is when Diwali happens, and usually it begins to cool down after that. In the middle in July-Aug we do have monsoons but they have become so erratic in recent past that one can no longer define a monsoon 'season' per se.

But we don't like the peak time of any season. Too much heat, too much cold, too much rainfall - we do not like it. Well I love the monsoons, but that's just me. Spring is way too short but I'm sure even if it got extended we would find something unpleasant about it too! (If that's possible).

Different seasons require different kinds of clothing. Which is mainly categorised as cottons vs woollens. It's time to bring out the cottons. They feel like such a refreshing change from the overbearing pullovers, shawls and other multiple layers of clothing that winter involves. The pastels, the pinks, yellows, blues, greens, all feel so light on the skin and just so summery.... And you can walk barefoot in the house on the farsh. The cement floor cools your feet in a way little else can.

:)

No comments:

Post a Comment