Thursday, July 23, 2009

Santushti in work...

For the past two weeks, we have been SO close to having monsoons, it's torture! Every morning the sky is thick with clouds. But by the time it's noon, the wind blows them away. The sun is strong and there's this unbearable humidity all day long. And seriously, in this country, you can't keep the AC switched on 24 X 7! I've been surviving on water and neembu-pani; the canteen bhaiyya makes amazing fresh lime soda!
Work is good. Preparing for the classes takes up most of the time, but honestly I don't mind! I think it almost serves as an escape route, to avoid thinking about other stuff. Although Prag & I did have a super long conversation yesterday, about faculty appointments in the Univ and the prospect of having to meet more random guys. It's funny how six months down the line we are so much more clear about what we are looking for in a life partner - and given the lack of change in mindsets of people here, I think we still have some time to ourselves. People's true colours really do come out once you begin interacting with them in this regard - all the s0-called 'exposure' and 'education' and 'liberalism' comes through. I shall not dwell more on this right now, since anyway the entire ordeal is going to restart from next week. Parents come home this sunday...
I think I've written previously too, about how much I love the college structures in this univ. It's a world away from the rest of the noise and etc.
A word on practically being baby-sat by my grandmother. I love my nani to pieces. But honestly, if I hear one more discourse on religious values; the degradation of morals in todays' youth; 'adjustments' required by girls once they get married; the amount of poisonous chemicals in every single thing that we eat; the amount of time we spend on computers; why non-veg food is bad for us etc etc etc...I will scream. I don't want to decide today, what we will eat for breakfast, lunch & dinner today & tomorrow. I don't want to discuss how the maids work in our house, since that pattern is a mutually acceptable one they, and we, have reached over a period of time. I don't want to change that pattern. I don't want to discuss why all the men I have met so far have been utterly disappointing. I just don't. And if this gets worse then I seriously will scream. I know she comes from a completely different time when things were very very different, but times have changed and all I can say is, move with the times. I am done with trying to keep up with her views and trying to reach a middle ground. I now know why Aa & La are the way they are....

No comments:

Post a Comment