Saturday, March 28, 2009

EarthHour '09 in New Delhi

The earth hour has just ended. And atleast amongst friends I know, it was a success. Which is more than what I can say for the locality where I stay. I got to see, yet again, the complete passive, non-participatory response from the middle-class of new delhi. I stay in a neighbourhood of civil servants, scientists, doctors, professors etc. Some of the brightest, most educated and aware people in this country. And as has been the trend, their complete apathy came as no surprise to me. We had a whole bunch of kids screaming their lungs out, 'please turn off your lights!', 'help fight global warming' etc, (in hindi as well). But most of the stubborn idiots in my neighbourhood paid no heed. Delhi seriously lacks a social conscience.

On the other hand when our domestic help, Rama, saw us turning off the lights and bringing in the candles, she got super excited and ran off to tell her family to join in this global movement! And I realised it was a whole lot of fun!

It's sad that people who can actually begin making a change at their own level don't take the initiative. And we have general elections coming up soon enough, I dont even want to think about the voter turn-out for that.

Anyhow the weather in delhi today evening made this earth hour super sexy! We had crazy rain, thunder, lightning, strong winds..and that amazing geeli mitti ki khushboo!
Pics from my earth hour will follow soon!

2 comments:

  1. :) seems like you had a great EarthHour with the weather favoring the occasion :)

    btw...i just saw the Countdown Clock and the "My Family".... cute :) ...and r u really waiting to turn 25? :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't stop time u know! so might as well look forward to it ;)

    ReplyDelete